Acupuncture has been performed much longer than it has been researched. The exact mechanisms by which acupuncture works are still largely unknown and most research has been conducted in the area of pain control.
Acupuncture points are very specific, unique sites on the body that have more nerve endings and blood vessels than non-acupuncture points. Most acupuncture points are found along 14 distinct lines, or meridians, along the body. The 14 meridians are called: Lung (LU), Large Intestine (LI), Stomach (ST), Spleen (SP), Heart (HT), Small Intestine (SI), Bladder (BL), Kidney (KI), Pericardium (PC), Triple Heater (TH), Gall Bladder (GB), Liver (LIV), Governing Vessel (GV), and Conception Vessel (CV).
1. They block pain from traveling up to the brain to be recognized as pain.
2. They stimulate other areas of the brain, resulting in the release of various neurotransmitters known to control pain, such as endorphins, substance P, and neurokinins, to name a few.
3. They travel to the pituitary-hypothalamic system, where hormones are released that result in various activities throughout the body.
4. They work directly at the site of insertion to cause pain inhibition (think of rubbing a sore spot to relieve pain temporarily, something our four-footed counterparts aren’t able to do).
5. They can exert neurologic and vascular effects on corresponding internal organs via a somatovisceral reflex.
1. Acupuncture affords gentle pain control without side effects.
2. Acupuncture can stimulate the body to heal itself through the release of neurotransmitters and hormones without side effects.
What can Acupuncture help treat?
1. Pain of any sort: arthritis, inflammation, muscle or tendon injury, pain associated with cancer
2. Signs associated with the intestinal tract such as diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, decreased appetite and colic
3. Seizures and other neurologic diseases
4. Behavioral issues such as anxiety, timidity, feather picking (birds)
5. Inflammatory diseases such as cystitis (bladder inflammation), asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, heaves (horses)
7. Allergies and the chronic ear and skin infections associated with them
8. Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD)
9. Heart, Kidney and Liver disease
If questions or to schedule an appointment:
- Phone: (814) 404-2466
- FAX: (888) 241-4072
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org